Driving responsiblyAs a driver, you need to develop the attitude and maturity necessary for driving from the get-go. Make a promise to yourself that starting today you would practice safe driving. You have a responsibility to yourself, your passengers, and other drivers as a driver. Some of the things you can do to drive responsibly are:
- Follow safety rules, including wearing your safety belt in a car, avoiding drinking and driving, and not using your phone while driving. Also, following the speed limit is something not many people pay heed to. Unfortunately, overspeeding causes more than 60 per cent of road accidents, resulting in thousands of deaths and lakhs of injuries.
- Be aware of your surroundings when driving; avoid using a cell phone or headphones in heavy traffic.
- Keep a safe distance from the cars in front of you.
- While trying to overtake, avoid cutting in front of other cars or passing cars that are turning on the same side.
- There is a blind spot between what you can see in the side rear view mirror and what you can see in the inner rear view mirror. Keep it in mind while driving.
Being careful on the road:Being careful on the road is not limited to driving; you can also take some measures to avoid accidents as a pedestrian, cyclist, or passenger.
- If you are on foot or cycling after dark, wear clothes that make you visible. Also, add some reflective elements to your shoes, backpack, bicycle etc.
- Never try to cross the street if you can see a car coming or passing across a closed railroad crossing.